Provigil contains a medication named Modafinil. It is known to have stimulating effect on the brain, which helps to alleviate the sleepiness and keeps the person awake. It is not a curative drug but it facilitates the treatment of certain medical conditions related to sleep.
What does it do?
Provigil increases certain neurotransmitters (like dopamine, epinephrine and serotonine) in the brain. These neurotransmitters have a stimulating effect on the brain and they keep a person awake.
What is it used for?
It is used in treating narcolepsy (a condition characterized by excessive sleep), Shift Work Disorder and sleep apnea (a condition characterized by frequent sleep disturbances due to interruption in breathing while sleeping).
Dosage of Provigil:
For Narcolepsy and Sleep Apnea-200 mg orally, in the morning
For shift work disorder- 200 mg, orally in a day, 1 hour prior to the start of their work shift
Reduction in dosages is required for hepatic impairment and geriatric patients.
How do I take Provigil?
Strictly follow the advice of your doctor regarding this medicine. Never try to reduce or increase the dose by yourself. Always read drug information leaflet carefully, which is provided to you with medication.
Provigil is available as pill. It is taken at morning before going to work, to prevent sleepiness at work place. The food intake doesn’t change its effect and therefore it can be taken with or without food. Usually it is prescribed for the period of 12 weeks or less.
As mentioned earlier, this medicine does not cure the cause of the disease, but only facilitates treatment by alleviating the treatment. Therefore you should not stop the other therapies given by doctor. For example, continue using CPAP for sleep apnea unless advised by a doctor.
Which drugs can interact with Provigil?
Following drugs can interact with modafinil.
- It reduces the effectiveness of oral contraceptive (birth control) pill. It is advisable to ask for alternative contraceptive, if you are taking Provigil.
- Certain antiviral drugs,
- Phenylephrine or other decongestants,
What precautions should I take before taking Provigil?
Rule out following conditions and inform your doctor about them, before consuming Provigil…
- Age of less than 17 years,
- Allergy to modafinil,
- Heart disease (like enlarged heart, valvular disease, cardiac pain, heart attack, disturbances in heart beat),
- History of Heart Problems after taking other stimulant drugs like amphetamine,
- Liver disease,
- Psychiatric disorders,
- Excessive use of alcohol or drug abuse,
- Pregnancy or breast feeding (the data available are not conclusive enough to label it as safe in these conditions)
This drug can cause habit of consumption. Therefore it is advisable to keep it safe from persons who are prone to drug abuse.
What are the side effects of Provigil?
Consult your doctor immediately, if you feel any of the below symptoms following consumption of Provigil.
- Allergic reactions like skin rash, peeling of skin and blisters,
- Mouth ulcers or redness of inner surface of mouth
- Difficult or painful swallowing,
- Difficulty in breathing,
- Swelling in legs, face, lips, eyes ,
- Passing dark urine, jaundice
Where can I purchase Provigil drug safely?
If you are looking for place to procure the prescription drug Provigil safely, then online drugstores will be your go to place. There are numerous online pharmacies in the market, which sells provigil drug to people who are need of the drug at a cheap price when compared to normal brick and mortar stores. Before purchasing Provigil, take some time to do a research on the online pharmacy from where you ought to purchase so that you shouldn’t need to get worry about getting fake drug.